Well.. where to begin. It's been a long month since my last long confession.
So as I write this from the cozy warmth of my little bedroom in the 'burbs, the weather outside is so beautiful and sunny it's just shocking.
In other news, I am also running steadily out of "portable assets", it being 1.5 years since I arrived, and I now have a very clear view of the end. I've had a week of high velocity job hunting, but the results have been bleak and spirit-crushing. Reality is staring at me from the dark future like two blinking white cartoon eyes.I have absolutely nothing to show for the fazillion applications I have sent, save for a photography shoot of which Fred and I were the focus. Sigh.
Which is sad and is I fear indicative of the Swedish job market and the sheer impossibility for immigrants to integrate into some semblence of a normal Swedish "life". The Swedes don't like to share their jobs with you if you aren't Swedish or don't at least speak superb Swedish. I can say this because I'm experiencing it first hand. It's a trade off I guess, of being able to live in charming Stockholm, but it's a pretty big trade-off, not being able to work in your chosen field. A guy at my class told me that people talk of stockholm's fleet of taxi drivers, and that they're the most educated in the world. Well this is life I guess... Haha - I don't even speak good enough Swedish let alone have an MBA to become a taxi driver! A blessing??
Not a lot to do then but keep trying and maybe something will come up, and failing that I guess I can return home, where I will have a job the day after landing. This small nugget of knowledge in the back of my head is becoming more and more tempting by the day, but I really don't want to resort to returning, so I keep pushing "This Other Option" out of my mind. Silly?? Probably. I'm not sure anymore.
So as I write this from the cozy warmth of my little bedroom in the 'burbs, the weather outside is so beautiful and sunny it's just shocking.
In other news, I am also running steadily out of "portable assets", it being 1.5 years since I arrived, and I now have a very clear view of the end. I've had a week of high velocity job hunting, but the results have been bleak and spirit-crushing. Reality is staring at me from the dark future like two blinking white cartoon eyes.I have absolutely nothing to show for the fazillion applications I have sent, save for a photography shoot of which Fred and I were the focus. Sigh.
Which is sad and is I fear indicative of the Swedish job market and the sheer impossibility for immigrants to integrate into some semblence of a normal Swedish "life". The Swedes don't like to share their jobs with you if you aren't Swedish or don't at least speak superb Swedish. I can say this because I'm experiencing it first hand. It's a trade off I guess, of being able to live in charming Stockholm, but it's a pretty big trade-off, not being able to work in your chosen field. A guy at my class told me that people talk of stockholm's fleet of taxi drivers, and that they're the most educated in the world. Well this is life I guess... Haha - I don't even speak good enough Swedish let alone have an MBA to become a taxi driver! A blessing??
Not a lot to do then but keep trying and maybe something will come up, and failing that I guess I can return home, where I will have a job the day after landing. This small nugget of knowledge in the back of my head is becoming more and more tempting by the day, but I really don't want to resort to returning, so I keep pushing "This Other Option" out of my mind. Silly?? Probably. I'm not sure anymore.



1 comments:
Poor you and I really do understand how you feel sebab when I "terpaksa" landed kat Manchester dulu pun it took me five months to finally get a job (bila dah dapat kerja tu memang grosssss sangat - because of crap management!)...
It's even worse for another country that you can't really speak the language very well... I may be in a process of moving to either Belgium or Netherlands soon (ikut laki lah!)...
For me it's so hard to learn Dutch...bberbelit lidah you!
How did you first come to Sweden ni? I suppsoe I need to read your previous entries hoh?
Good luck and I am sure anything is possible (bak kata Debbie Gibson..opss)...
Post a Comment