I watched Fitna about a week ago and resolved then not to immediately express my views on the movie. I figured that I should allow myself reasonable time to digest the content of the movie and listen to views by others before attempting to give mine.
The first thing that I felt immediately after watching the movie and still feel, is that it is unjust to selectively pick five or six verses of the Quran and claim that they are representative of the entire teachings of Islam or its believers. Without examining the context in which those verses were written, it would be manifestly unjust to surmise that Islam advocates violence. It would also be unconscionable to assume that someone like Osama Bin Laden is to be regarded as Islam’s voice or the leader of Muslims just as much as I would not accept George Bush as a spokesman for Christians. What about other verses in the Quran that say that Christians shall be amongst the best friends of the Muslims and that Allah allowed them into paradise? I remember listening to a ceramah by Tuan Guru Dato’ Nik Aziz. In that ceramah, he told Muslims not to assume all Jews to be their enemies. He then quoted from the Quran an instance where Allah sent an angel down to prevent a group of believers from stoning to death a Jew because he was innocent of wrongdoing.
In retaliation against the movie, I read of calls by many to boycott products from Holland. I find this suggestion lacking in intelligence and in my humble view, a position that perhaps even the teachings of Islam may advise against. After 9/11, what if the Christians around the globe called for a boycott of all products exported by Muslim nations, in retaliation to the actions of one man (and his insubstantial number of supporters), Osama? Wouldn’t that be unfair, akin to accusing all Muslims of having participated in that devious act? Even Muslims perished in that disaster. They too grieved at the loss of innocent lives.
In my humble view, I think that this is an opportune time for Muslims to prove to the world at large that Geert Wilders is wrong in his assumptions. Muslim scholars and religious teachers should take this opportunity to rebut his accusations by explaining the context of the verses used in the movie, whether applicable in current times and by distancing themselves from anyone who advocates violence in the name of Islam. I have always felt and still feel the same today, that the strongest defence anyone can offer his or her religion is by the way he or she lives her life. No amount of protests, boycotts and violence will have a similar effect. In times like these, I think that the teaching of Jesus (also a prophet of the Muslims) to “turn the other cheek” if observed, will have the effect of pouring cold water on the hot head of Geert. How I wish George Bush adhered to this teaching and did not invade Iraq nor take the life of Saddam.
The first thing that I felt immediately after watching the movie and still feel, is that it is unjust to selectively pick five or six verses of the Quran and claim that they are representative of the entire teachings of Islam or its believers. Without examining the context in which those verses were written, it would be manifestly unjust to surmise that Islam advocates violence. It would also be unconscionable to assume that someone like Osama Bin Laden is to be regarded as Islam’s voice or the leader of Muslims just as much as I would not accept George Bush as a spokesman for Christians. What about other verses in the Quran that say that Christians shall be amongst the best friends of the Muslims and that Allah allowed them into paradise? I remember listening to a ceramah by Tuan Guru Dato’ Nik Aziz. In that ceramah, he told Muslims not to assume all Jews to be their enemies. He then quoted from the Quran an instance where Allah sent an angel down to prevent a group of believers from stoning to death a Jew because he was innocent of wrongdoing.
In retaliation against the movie, I read of calls by many to boycott products from Holland. I find this suggestion lacking in intelligence and in my humble view, a position that perhaps even the teachings of Islam may advise against. After 9/11, what if the Christians around the globe called for a boycott of all products exported by Muslim nations, in retaliation to the actions of one man (and his insubstantial number of supporters), Osama? Wouldn’t that be unfair, akin to accusing all Muslims of having participated in that devious act? Even Muslims perished in that disaster. They too grieved at the loss of innocent lives.
In my humble view, I think that this is an opportune time for Muslims to prove to the world at large that Geert Wilders is wrong in his assumptions. Muslim scholars and religious teachers should take this opportunity to rebut his accusations by explaining the context of the verses used in the movie, whether applicable in current times and by distancing themselves from anyone who advocates violence in the name of Islam. I have always felt and still feel the same today, that the strongest defence anyone can offer his or her religion is by the way he or she lives her life. No amount of protests, boycotts and violence will have a similar effect. In times like these, I think that the teaching of Jesus (also a prophet of the Muslims) to “turn the other cheek” if observed, will have the effect of pouring cold water on the hot head of Geert. How I wish George Bush adhered to this teaching and did not invade Iraq nor take the life of Saddam.

1 comments:
Well written dude...i share the same view as you...
Post a Comment